Hands On Seminars: Muscle Energy Technique (MET) with Dr. Leon Chaitow - Online
Muscle Energy Technique (MET): Presented by Dr. Leon Chaitow
Type - Online
Duration - 24 Contact Hours
Appropriate For - PTs, PTAs, OTs, OTAs, ATCs, and Physicians
Language - English
Muscle Energy Technique may have been discussed by several healthcare providers and teachers in manual therapy, but never like the way explained by Dr. Leon Chaitow. Dr. Chaitow discusses the advances of this effective manual therapy technique and provides you with his multi-year experience treating thousands of patients along with his treatment wisdom in a way that you can totally understand and put into practice immediately.
This is a valuable course for physiotherapists, manual therapists, physical therapists, osteopaths, osteopathic physicians and chiropractors, massage therapists, structural integration practitioners, Pilates and yoga teachers & therapists, Tai chi and Feldenkrais practitioners, athletic coaches and voice-coaches.
In this practical, evidence-informed, course the participants will acquire and/or enhance use of Muscle Energy Techniques (MET) for application to articular, fascial and myofascial dysfunction.
The course will explore the rationale and methodology for using different models of MET, in their role in managing a variety of forms of somatic dysfunction.
- Isometric (standard) MET
- Slow eccentric MET as used in post-trauma rehabilitation
- Pulsed (rhythmic) MET – applied to spinal and pelvic articulations
Video demonstrations include functional assessment methods for associated soft tissue as well as spinal and pelvic articular dysfunction, together with demonstration and explanations of MET application to these tissues and structures.
The course covers:
Theoretical overview regarding the evolution of soft tissue dysfunction from an osteopathic/manual medicine perspective, including:
- Local adaptation syndromes
- Musculoskeletal stress response sequences
- Causes of soft tissue hypertonicity & dysfunction (pain/tone connection)
- Chain reactions & crossed syndromes
- Summary of main causes of fascial, myofascial and articular dysfunction – with special reference to the thoracolumbar fascia and pelvis
- Introduction to Muscle Energy Technique variations for treatment of joint restrictions, and soft tissue shortening/dysfunction (particularly related to the thorax & pelvis), including:MET: as applied in acute + chronic settings
- Pulsed MET – encouraging proprioceptive rehabilitation & value in spinal and pelvic mobilization
- Slow Eccentric Isotonic Stretching (SEIS) as an alternative to post-isometric stretching
The course covers identification and MET treatment of soft tissues involved in restrictions, of spinal and pelvic joints, using functional assessment methods – including: Upper trapezius, levator scapula, scalenes, SCM, pectoralis major & minor, psoas, QL, piriformis, hip adductors, TFL, quadriceps, hamstrings, erector spinae – and other muscles associated with thoracic & pelvic function.
Cautions and contraindications are emphasized throughout the course.
Purchase the book before taking the course: Muscle Energy Techniques
- Will I have any direct interaction with Dr. Chaitow from this course?
Unfortunately, Dr. Chaitow passed away in 2018. These are the only existing fully developed online courses created by Leon Chaitow in collaboration with Hands-On Seminars. By permission of Leon Chaitow’s estate, these courses will remain available and supported and updated where necessary by his closest colleagues. The recommended reading material included in each module contains the information that will ultimately lead to success in the module tests.
- How long will I have access to this course?
Upon opening, you will have 1-year access to complete this course. All content is downloadable and yours to keep. After 1 year, only the opened content will be in your completed courses tab which you will be able to revisit after the 1 year is up and after completion.
- Do some exam questions contain multiple answers?
Yes, some of the questions from the exams on these courses contain multiple answers. It is up to you to decide based on your learned knowledge which requires more than one correct answer.
- If I have further questions regarding the course content or exams, what should I do?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Dr. Leon Chaitow, ND, DO (deceased 2018)
Dr. Chaitow is a world-renowned practicing naturopath, osteopath, and acupuncturist in the United Kingdom, with over forty years of clinical experience. Dr. Chaitow was Editor-in-Chief, of the Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies.
He regularly lectured in the United States as well as Europe where he instructed physiotherapists (Holland and USA), osteopaths (Spain and UK), chiropractors (Denmark, USA, and UK) as well as massage therapists (Ireland, Sweden, USA). He was a senior lecturer at London’s University of Westminster on under and postgraduate courses in therapeutic bodywork and naturopathy.
In 1993, he became the first naturopath/osteopath to be appointed as a consultant to a UK government-funded conventional medical practice. A prolific author, Chaitow wrote over 60 books on natural health and alternative medicine.
Choose the below sign-on method.
Sign in or create a Marketplace
account for free.